The holiday season is here and filled with lots of parties and get together. This is usually a time to indulge for many folks and while I am all for a little treat every once a while. I wanted to share a few tips that I use to help you stay healthy and not feel awful come January.
I am not a fitness professional and still have a lot more to learn when it comes to nutrition. But as I learn more I wanted to share a few tips that I use in case you find it useful as well.
1. Drink plenty of water: It is easy to forget to stay hydrated with all the holiday festivities and travels. Make sure you are drinking enough water to be hydrated through the day. This also helps with hunger cravings. Often when you’re thirsty your body can mistake that for hunger.
2. Eat veggies first: Filling up on veggies first before indulging in other rich foods. This will ensure you are eating enough veggies but also less of the other maybe not so nutrient dense but tastes great food.
3. Skip the second round of dessert: So go ahead indulge in your favorite pie or sugar cookie, it is the holidays after all but do you really need that second piece? Sugar is my nemesis, I have a love hate relationship. I love it but when I overindulge in it I feel incredibly sick. You will be surprise how much sugar is in our favorite desserts so overindulging is actually pretty easy to do.
4. Get a workout in: It is so easy to skip your workout around the holidays, but even if you cannot get to the gym or are travelling, make sure you do a quick at home workout to get you moving. You will feel better in the long run and makes getting back to the gym much easier after the holidays. Looking for travel at home workouts - there are plenty of resources online. Check out this site’s long list of at home workouts.
5. Limit alcohol: I do not typically drink a whole lot on a regular basis and find that around the holidays it is easy to indulge in a few more drinks with all the holiday celebrations going on. Go ahead and enjoy a few cocktails but find the right balance to not go overboard either. You will feel better in the morning and it avoids intaking too many empty calories. I find that when I limit myself to 1-2 drinks a night, I sleep better throughout the night and wake up without that paralyzing hangover.
Favorite Activewear that is on Sale!